Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Grammy Endorsements

I'll likely watch the Grammys tonight with my roommates, who love the performances, especially any rappers (any shots of T-Pain, Lil Wayne or T.I. are sure to illicit screams of joy).

Before I devote part of my Sunday to watch, I thought I'd make a list of those I'm rooting for.
  • Record of the Year: Either Adele's "Chasing Pavements" or Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love". Adele's CD was one of the best gifts I got last year, and no matter how overplayed "Bleeding Love" was on the radio, I never tired of it.
  • Album of the Year: Lil Wayne "Tha Carter III"—call it a roommate's influence.
  • Song of the Year: Adele's "Chasing Pavements", again awesome import from England. 
  • Best New Artist: I've gotta go with Adele again. I love Duffy, but Adele has impressed me more. As long as it's not the Jonas Brothers. I hope the Grammys don't pull a 'let's let the Jonai win just for ratings' card. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they won, but for the record they are not nearly as talented as Duffy or Adele.
  • Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Ooooo, tough category. I can't give everything to Adele, so this one's gotta go to Katy Perry for her catchy, inventive "I Kissed A Girl". I love that song. Honestly, every song in this category has been blasted on my iPod on more than one occasion this year.
  • Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" or Kid Rock's "All Summer Long".
  • Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group: "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay
  • Best Pop Collaboration: Hands down "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown. If it's featured on Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" there's a good chance I'll instantly fall in love with it.
  • Best Pop Vocal Album: "Spirit" by Leona Lewis
  • Best Dance Recording: "Just Dance" by my favorite new artist, Lady Gaga. How can a song with dance in the title not win this category?
  • Best Female R&B Vocal Performance: Jennifer Hudson's "Spotlight". This Academy Award-winner's vocal chords deserve some acknowledgement in the music world.
  • Best R&B Song: "Spotlight" again
  • Best R&B Album: Jennifer Hudson again. Go girl!
  • Best Rap Solo Performance: "A Milli" rapped by Lil Wayne, another influence from the roommates
  • Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: "Swagga Like Us" by Jay-Z & T.I. featuring Kanye West & Lil Wayne. I hope T.I. accepts!
  • Best Rap/Sung Collaboration: "Got Money" by Lil Wayne featuring T-Pain. I can hear my roommates screaming now.
  • Best Rap Song: Lil Wayne's "Lollipop"
  • Best Rap Album: I want "Paper Trail" by T.I., but Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" would be acceptable too.
  • Best Female Country Vocal Performance: Carrie Underwood's "Last Name". She is fantastic! I saw her in concert in December with my dad and another friend, and she was amazing! I hope she's performing tonight too! I'll have to check after this post.
  • Best Country Collaboration: "Life in a Northern Town" by Sugarland, Jake Owen & Little Big Town. Hey a ma ma ma...
Wow, this is one of my longest posts, but to see how many I got right The 51st Grammy Awards are tonight at 8 p.m. ET.

No comments:

Post a Comment