- Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire—after securing Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture at tonight's SAGs, a Golden Globe and countless other "bests" this awards season, I think it's safe to say that this film should garner the year's most coveted movie prize.
- In the Best Actor ring: Sean Penn (Milk) v. Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)—Sean won the SAG, but Mickey won the Golden Globe. It will come down to how the Academy votes to decide which performance comes out on top.
- In the Best Actress ring: Meryl Streep (Doubt) v. Kate Winslet (The Reader) v. Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)—Meryl won tonight's SAG, but Kate's performance for "The Reader" also won the SAG (in the supporting category) and she garnered two Golden Globes, actress for "Revolutionary Road" and supporting actress for "The Reader". Then consider that Anne and Meryl tied for Best Actress at the Critics Choice Awards. I'm hoping for Kate to win this tango.
- On the Best Supporting Actor pedestal: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), no doubt about it. It's Heath's year, despite the tragedy that he passed too soon.
- On the Best Supporting Actress pedestal: No clue. With Kate's win in this category for most of the year, it's hard to know which actress will take home the Oscar.
The big Academy Award showdown is in less than one month. Can't wait!
(photo courtesy AP)